I am a historian of Europe and the Mediterranean in the Early Modern period. My specialisations include the history of the Ottoman Empire, Cyprus in the Ottoman Period, Venice, English and Venetian trade in the Ottoman Empire and Mediterranean history from the 16th to the 19th century. I work with themes such as:
- identity in the Early Modern Mediterranean
- military history
- social and economic history in the Ottoman Empire
- rebellion in the Ottoman Empire
- piracy and trade in a Mediterranean and global context
- sharia courts in the Ottoman Empire
- nationalist historiography of post-imperial spaces, with a focus on the post-Ottoman space (but not only)
I also specialise in a number of themes on learning and teaching, such as:
- learning outcomes and constructive alignment
- threshold concepts in the humanities
- critical pedagogy
- technology-enhanced learning
Please select an option from above to navigate this website, or contact me for further information.
The home page will be used for updates and frequent communication. Please subscribe by email if you want to receive these updates.